Pages

Thursday 19 September 2019

Noddy Cake


I have been avoiding writing about this cake... I love the result but gosh it caused me a lot of stress and tears!
Let's start at the beginning: E wanted a Noddy cake. He had been watching Noddy Detective and wanted it all on his cake! I said I would do my bestest best and was hoping to find little toys I could put on top. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything suitable... here comes the stress! It's one thing to make a ball out of fondant, something else entirely to make a character! All considered Noddy doesn't look too bad, I made sure to take photos of his best angle! haha!
As usual I made the decorations a few days ahead, adding tylo powder to the fondant.That's when I made the stamp for the footprints. 


cakes:  double zebra cake recipe (need to find another one more reliable!) 3 x 20cm cakes
chocolate ganache: 600g best baking chocolate you can afford, 600g double cream  (it was way too much but I'm not sure half would be enough...)
sugar syrup: 60g sugar, 120g water. use cold on the cakes when assembling
fondant: 600g to cover the cake, extra for the board and decorations


The big fiasco was the baking of the cake. I can't seem to get the zebra cake to bake properly in smaller sized tins. It looks and feels baked but actually the centre isn't... here come the tears! Thankfully my very grown up 6 year old told me I was going to find a solution and it would look great! I gave him a big cuddle, dried up my crocodile tears and got thinking. You see the sweets/open top with the scissors etc? I used a round cookie cutter to remove the slightly underbaked centre and it all went smoothly after that!


I left the cake in the fridge overnight uncovered and took it out a couple of hours before the party to add the decorations and fill with sweets! E was very excited and J was very proud he helped avoid a fiasco! :o)


More photos? Of course!






No comments:

Post a Comment