Pages

Sunday 22 February 2015

Swiss Meringue Buttercream... Take 1


I'm not a fan of buttercream; that's putting it nicely... but I love the look, piped on cupcakes and cakes. I'd like to find a version that's not too sweet or buttery and with a pleasant texture (not grainy and going crusty as some do). My first attempt: Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

I used the recipe from Mich Turner (scroll down to the ombre cake) here. I made half the recipe and had enough for 12 cupcakes. 
I used dried egg whites (followed the instructions on the packet) instead of fresh and didn't add all the butter as it was already too buttery tasting for me. I had a few issues during whisking but easily corrected following the great info on Shawnda's blog here
As I don't have a fancy food mixer with different attachments, I smoothed it with a spatula before transfering to a piping bag (otherwise it's full of air bubbles).
It's extremely easy to pipe and not grainy at all. It didn't crust either. The cupcakes were ok in airtight containers on the worktop, fridge or freezer (still no crust after a couple of days).

I'll definitely try it again, next time adding the butter to taste, see what texture I get.


No comments:

Post a Comment